Sustainability is the most common term we might have heard since our 5th standard, but how do we know when and why we need to follow it? Sustainability means meeting our personal needs now without compromising the needs of future generations. Opting for sustainable products leads to zero waste management that eventually cuts down the carbon footprint ( The total amount of greenhouse gases generated by our actions). Even after knowing the importance of sustainability, why do we face difficulty following it?
There can be several reasons for not adopting a sustainable lifestyle;
- People are confused and don’t know where to begin.
- People find it embarrassing to carry their utensils/bags to every store whenever they go shopping.
- People are unaware of the zero waste products.
- Availability and accessibility of the products may differ based on the location of the people.
- Huge cost as it might be expensive compared to mass products.
- Unknown of the fact that individual actions matter a lot.
What can you do to make a difference on the individual level, and how can you begin?
- Save water
- Follow 3Rs, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
- Carry your Utensils, Water bottles and Cloth bags to reduce plastic waste.
- Go paperless
- Invest in Reusable food bags.
- Use natural and organic products like Bamboo toothbrushes, Neem combs, and more.
- Gift products like indoor plants that will help in saving the cost, low maintenance, and contribute to the environment in a promising way.
- Shop mindfully
These are just the little steps towards adapting to a sustainable lifestyle. We shall not take the resources for granted as the effects of climate change and greenhouse gases are visible and taking place.
No task can give results in one day, but your efforts will one day benefit the environment.